The In Home Support Services (IHSS) program provides assistance to eligible aged, blind or disabled individuals who are unable to remain safely in their own homes without this assistance. An individual must be 65 years of age or older, disabled, or blind to qualify. In home support services (IHSS) is considered an alternative to out-of-home care, such as care facilities or nursing homes.
IHSS provides basic services to consumers who cannot perform the services themselves. When a consumer is able to perform a task in a safe manner without an unreasonable amount of physical or emotional stress he/she is expected to take responsibility for that task. Services include house-cleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired. All above services must be authorized through In Home Support Service (IHSS).
Eligibility for IHSS
You must be a California resident and live in your home. You must also meet one of the following conditions:
- Currently receive SSI/SSP benefits; or
- Meet all SSI/SSP eligibility criteria including income, but not receive SSI/SSP benefits; or
- Meet all SSI/SSP eligibility criteria, except for income in excess of SSI/SSP eligibility standards; or
Were once eligible for SSI/SSP benefits, but became ineligible because you are engaging in substantial gainful activity, and meet all of the following conditions:
- You were once determined to be disabled in accordance with Title XVI of the Social Security Act (SSI/SSP) and
- You continued to have the same physical or mental impairments which were the basis of the disability determination and
- You require assistance in one or more of the areas specified under the definition of severely impaired individual.
Other eligibility criteria:
You must live at home. Home means the place in which an individual chooses to reside. Home does NOT include acute care hospital, skilled nursing facility, intermediate care facility, community care facility.
Your personal property may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
If you do not receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), your income will be used to determine your eligibility for IHSS. Depending on the amount of your income, you may be required to pay for a portion of your IHSS benefits (share of cost).